Looking good and presentable is every woman’s priority. Women invest heavily in their looking good business; you have the best quality makeup kit, and you have the skills, so all that’s left for you is to look gorgeous. However, I feel like there is one thing that women tend to overlook. You see, when you use your makeup brushes, bits of oil, dirt, makeup, and this makes them a breeding ground for bacteria, which can get trapped in the brush bristles. It is, therefore, important to learn how to clean makeup brushes once you think they have had better days.
It is advisable to clean makeup brushes after every two weeks or even less depending on how often you use the brushes. The best way to know when the brush needs to be washed is when it is no longer soft and when the makeup residue is visible and cake-y.
Cleaning makeup brushes is definitely not one of the fascinating things to do but the truth is it has to be done and should be part of your routine. By cleaning your makeup brushes, you are saving your skin from a lot of harms since dirty brushes tend to cause an outburst due to the bacteria hidden in the dirty brushes. This also conditions very expensive brushes that are meant to last for a long time.
- A small shallow bowl
- Gentle clarifying shampoo or baby shampoo, dish detergent or an unscented bar soap
- A sink
- A lint free cloth/ paper towel
Instructions on how to clean makeup brushes:
- Begin by running the brushes under warm water and rinsing out all leftover makeup. Ensure to focus on the bristles themselves while also avoiding the part of the brush where handle meets the head, as this can end up slackening the glue over time
- Fill the bowl with lukewarm water and a squirt of shampoo. Then smoothly swirl the brush tip in the water. If necessary, you can also swirl the brush in the palm of your hand to work up a lather.
- Rinse the tip of the brush below running water again. Repeat steps two and three until the water running from the brush is clear
- Use a piece of cloth or paper towel to wipe your brush clean and reshape the bristles as you go.
- Lay out your brushes flat overnight on a cloth to dry.
As simple as that, and you have yourself bacteria-free and clean makeup brushes. So next time before you think of getting new brushes, how about you try this cleaning method first. In addition, learning how to clean makeup brushes helps to protect you from any health problems.