Coconut oil popularity is rapidly growing as it has been used as health and beauty treatment for centuries. Coconut oil comes in handy when you need to lose weight, lower cholesterol, strengthen immunities and treat various infections. It is full of antioxidants and also possesses antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial properties. Coconut oil can be consumed directly, used to cook food or apply it directly on your skin and hair as a beauty treatment. This multi-purpose oil not only benefits your skin and hair, when ingested as cooking oil, it also has very positive effects on your overall health. Below are some valid reasons for you to use coconut oil for hair.
The Benefits of Using Coconut Oil for Hair
1) For hair growth
The use of coconut oil for natural hair is a great way to grow your hair naturally. Opt for the virgin coconut oil over the refined coconut oil as the former contains the active components required for healthy hair treatment in their natural forms. Using coconut oil for hair growth ensures that your hair grows thicker, longer and faster. The essential fatty acids and vitamins found in this oil help in removing sebum build-up from the hair follicles and also nourishes the scalp. Be sure to follow this procedure frequently for good results.
- Comb your hair to release it from the tangles
- Warm some coconut oil under low heat
- Use your fingers to gently apply the oil into your scalp
- Wrap your hair with a towel or cloth and let it sit in overnight for the best results
2) For dandruff treatment
The frequent use of chemical hair treatment conditioners, shampoos, colorants or styling products leaving your hair with flaky and itchy dandruff. However, this can be solved by the use of coconut oil to treat and heal your scalp from the damages caused by the chemicals.
- Before you go to bed be sure to wash your hair with natural shampoo and condition
- Warm coconut oil under low heat
- Gently massage it on your scalp paying more attention to the most affected areas
- Wrap your hair with a cloth or a towel and let it sit in overnight
- In the morning rinse off with a good anti-dandruff shampoo
READ MORE: Causes of Dandruff and Possible Remedies
3) For damaged hair
The heat from products, such as straightening irons, blow dryers, or curling irons and other chemicals from hair dye, styling products, and shampoos causes your hair to lose the most important proteins that keep it hair strong. Damaged hair is often dry and brittle and which is caused by the loss of the natural hair proteins. Coconut oil for hair growth can be used to nurture and repair even the harshly damaged hair since it contains hair proteins and also provides maximum nutrition to the hair follicles used to make up for the lost proteins.
- Warm the coconut oil over low heat
- Gently apply the oil on your scalp from bottom working your way upwards
- Leave it for an hour before rinsing it with gently with herbal shampoo
READ MORE: Benefits of Using Olive Oil for Hair Growth
4) For hair conditioning
A constant dry scalp is a sign of lack of moisture in your hair follicles. However, this can be solved by using coconut oil for hair as a conditioning treatment to restore moisture.
- Ensure you have one or two hours for this treatment, the longer the coconut oil sits in your hair the more effective the treatment.
- Wash your hair and give it time to dry
- Warm the coconut oil over low heat
- Gently apply the oil to your scalp using your fingers then work through it with a comb
- Wrap up the hair in a shower cap or a towel and let it soak in for thirty minutes
- Rinse and shampoo to remove oil
READ MORE: How to Get Rid of Dandruff Fast
You could also make an oil mixture by combining coconut oil for hair, rosemary oil and geranium oil for better conditioning results.